Skip to content

{ Monthly Archives } February 2011

A Search Box for the Website

I've been playing with search engines and for the search API I'm going with Bing; Google limits their free API to 100 queries a day and requires creating a custom search engine. Bing requires signing up and getting an "AppID" but from there it's unlimited. Documentation is, well, Microsoftian: impossible to find and hard to […]

Trying to Search with Bing and Failing

I'm not a fan of having to create a Google Custom Search Engine to limit searches to one site with an HTML form (which seems to be necessary for mobile sites), so let's play with Bing: <form method="get" action="http://www.bing.com/search" > <input name="q" type="text"/> <input type="submit" value="Search with Bing"/> <input name="q1" value="site:http://bililite.nfshost.com/blog" type="hidden"/> </form> And it […]

Back to a Simple Google Search Form

Earlier, I noted that the old, simple Google search: <form method="get" action="http://www.google.com/search" > <input name="q" type="text"/> <input type="submit" value="Search with Google"/> <input name="sitesearch" value="http://bililite.nfshost.com/blog" type="hidden"/> </form> is deprecated and doesn't work from Google's mobile site. Google does have an API for custom searches that has all sorts of fancy parameters to manipulate, but it requires […]

A Google Bug (no, not really)

For the search on the Young Israel site, I use Google with a form that creates links like http://www.google.com/search?q=foo&sitesearch=http://youngisrael-stl.org to limit the search to the one site. It works fine in normal browsers, but on my iPhone it detects the browser and changes it to a mobile-optimized site that ignores the sitesearch=http://youngisrael-stl.org and returns results […]

Custom CSS for iPhone

I decided to make the Young Israel site iPhone-friendly, and there are lots of good sites for tips on creating custom CSS for the small screen. The best I found was on CSS wizardry. It doesn't focus on the how so much (using media queries or checking the User-Agent string (evil!)) as the what—making sure […]

jQuery 1.5

Well, jQuery 1.5 is out and there's yet another incompatibility: they changed the way attribute selectors work. You used to be able to use them without quotes, as [attr=value] but that now throws an exception. Now you have to use [attr="value"]. Not sure why they changed it; The CSS level 3 definition is ambiguous about […]